About me

I am a freelance Architectural Technician, and I work part time in a CIAT accredited practice. 

I am friendly, easy going and I work all hours to meet deadlines and answer any emails/calls etc. I am cost effective, and provide a quality, presentable set of drawings.

I am lead by quality work and happy clients. I like to keep a good working relationship with clients, contractors and any other professional bodies involved. 

I have been working in the industry for over 11 years now, and I am always willing to push myself, and always seeking to develop my skills. 

Click Here to Add a Title

As an Architectural technician I look more into the detailed elements within the proposed construction. The new

construction will have to be; robust, fully watertight, ventilated, with no thermal breaks or bridging, and to allow for a flush, seamless finish internally and externally where achievable.

The design will also need to coincide with; a structural design, mechanical and electrical design, and any other required services. Complex details can occur, and it is my job to iron these out during the design stage,

and produce a robust and long term solution.

In my CIAT accredited practice I have worked on large housing sites and commercial schemes, health care and education, and even MOD work. 

I have previously also worked for 14 months in a design-led RIBA accredited practice, bringing a flair of design into the equation.


Do I need planning permission ?

This is a very common question for most homeowners looking to extend, enlarge or develop their homes. 

There are guidelines on the planning portal and on your local councils website, but some of this can be quiet daunting and                  misunderstanding. There is also a lot that can be built under 'permitted development' but the criteria for gaining this is large; 

It is all dependant on sizes, heights, materials, volumes etc. So therefore every project and household is different, and it is difficult to judge without an onsite visit. 

Permitted development can be removed from a property, if it has had works completed already or a previously approved planning application, or just from the properties constraints. This can be found out from the local authorities records. 

There is also a 'neighbour consultation scheme' in place until May 2019 - which allows you to build a larger extension without full homeowners planning. Although to apply for this you still require scaled drawings, and need to register it with the council. The drawings will get sent to all of the immediate neighbouring properties effected, if any complaints are made then the whole application will be ruled out and a full householder planning permission will be required. 

Every project, house and proposal is different - therefore arranging a free consultation would be the best solution 

to discuss your options.  


Click Here to Add a Title

Architect and Architectural Technician - The difference ?

‚ÄčThis is probably the next common question, which is understandable. 

In a quick answer - not much. 

Both professionals can take a project from a design brief/inception - to completion onsite. 

Which is the principal role of both of these. The main difference being is the education process; 

An Architect would have been through university, which is very art and design based. To gain a full 'Architect' registration you are required to attend a 3 year course, with 2 years of placement and a final masters degree. If successful, they will join the 'Architects Registration Board' (ARB) which will give them a protected title of an 'Architect'. They can then choose to join their professional body 'Royal Institute of British Architects' (RIBA).


An Architectural Technician would of have been through college or university, with more of a science and engineering upbringing. The course can be taken on part time - allowing for them to gain more experience in the workplace. The course is a lot less than an Architect, but taking on this process you will never be able to title yourself as an 'Architect'. Once they have enough experience, and have constructed a portfolio (usually 10 years work), a formal interview can be taken and a technician can join their professional body 'Charted Institute of Architectural Technologists' (CIAT). 

Usually in a large practice an Architect will work on the design stage - from design brief/inception to a planning submission. 

An Architectural Technician, will work on the technical aspect - taking it to construction/building regulation stage and furthermore onsite. Both parties can be involved at whichever stage and can sign the building off at the end of the process.